Each month we aim to bring attention to some of the many workshops happening in the area for you to learn from – and perhaps give you chance to meet some of the awesome people that work in our ‘hood. If you happen to know of any other workshops happening please email us at email@example.com so we can get the info out there.
Baaad Anna’s Yarn Store | 2667 East Hastings Street | 604-255-2577 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Introduction to Wheel Spinning with Zoe Brown on May 7th & 14th from 10am – 12pm $135 (+tax) – This is a two day beginner spinning class using an Ashford Wheel, and includes equipment rental for a three week period. Participants will learn how to set up and use the equipment. All materials included ($40 reduction in cost if you have your own Ashford Wheel).
- Introduction to Loom Weaving with Nicola Hodges in now FULL for MAY Their is a waiting list for June though $135 (+tax) – This is a two day beginner weaving class using an Ashford Knitters Loom, and includes equipment rental for a three week period. Participants will learn how to set up and use the equipment. All materials included ($40 reduction in cost if you have your own Ashford Knitters Loom).
- Beginner Kitting with Adrielle Boschma on May 8th, 15th and 2nd from 2p – 2p $70-$90 (+tax) Sliding Scale – This is a beginner knitting class for anyone who has never picked up needles, or for someone who is looking for a beginner refresher. Participants will learn the basics including casting on, knitting, purling and casting off. The class project will be a choice between simple hat, scarf, or arm warmers.
- Project Coaching with Zoe Brown on May 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th from 6p – 7:30p $70-$90 (+tax) Sliding Scale – A project-based beyond the basics class that is for anyone who can knit and purl, and wants to take their knitting to the next level. This skills development class provides four weeks of coaching and support to help each student work through a project of their choice from beginning to end. Learn a new skill by bringing in a pattern that is just slightly beyond your reach. Tackle the project you’ve always wanted to do but needed to learn the skills to succeed!
- Introduction to Needle Felting with Mel Broome on May 29th from 1pm – 3pm $35 (+tax) – This two hour workshop will introduce technique, detailing and shaping. Needle felting is quick and fun way to create three dimensional fibre art pieces!
- Beginner Crochet with an instructor (TBD) on May 29th from 3:30p – 5:30p $35 (+tax) – This is a beginner crochet workshop for someone who has never crocheted or who wants a beginner refresher. Participants will learn the basics of crochet including chain, single and double crochet.
Another Space | 1523 East Pender Street | 604-365-8989 | email@example.com
- Weekly By-Donation Hatha Yoga w/ Three Sisters Yoga Collective on May 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th $5-$15 Suggested Donation – This breath-centred, mindful class focuses on classical postures drawn from the Ashtanga and Sivananda lineages. Expect a meditative, balanced sequence that is accessible for all levels of practice
- Craft Therapy Open Studio w/ Sarah Peacock on May 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th $Mindful Payment – Are you looking for more creativity in your life? Sometimes it’s as simple as just giving it the time it needs. The creative impulse flourishes when we give it space to ‘become’.
- Mindfulness: Loving Yourself While Loving Another w/ Erin Pickell on May 10th and May 24th at 7:30p – 9:30p $Mindful Payment – The session will involve simple practices to notice our mind-body experiencing and cultivate a spacious mind.
- Dancing Dialogues between Body and Soul: Expressive Dance for Women w/ Maria Carbonetti on May 17th from 7:30p – 9:30p $Mindful Payment – This workshop is about letting the dialogue begin by befriending our body, giving our soul space to speak. Through movement and dance, we will explore the internal rhythm we all have and the beauty of our inner dance
- Adventures in Mindfulness w/ Prema McKeever on May 25th from 7:15p – 9:15p $Mindful Payment – This is an experiential group for becoming more aware, present, and alive in your daily life. Using powerful practices such as self-inquiry, partner exercises, guided meditations, breathwork, and more we will explore the mystery of ourselves.
The Gourmet Warehouse | 1340 East Hastings Street | 604-253-3022 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Knife Care and Sharpening Workshop with Chef Kris on may 15th from 12p – 2p $30 – Hands-on workshop where you will learn how to sharpen, maintain, and care for your knives. In addition you will learn the differences in steels, stones, pull through sharpeners and the different sharpening angles.
- Flavours of Vietnam with Cindy Low on May 28th from 11a – 2p $65 – oin Chef Cindy Low as she explores the flavors of Vietnam, highlighted by a nourishing homemade chicken broth for Vietnamese pho (rice noodle soup), plus salad rolls, shaking beef banh mi, and more.
- Wedding Cakes at Home with Rick Gaspard on May 29th from 11a – 2p $65 – In this demonstration style class students will learn the essential skills required to construct a classic 3 tiered wedding cake.