Lunar New Year
- Between the 2700 to 2200 blocks of East Hastings, the participating businesses will be blessed by the lion to ring in Chinese New Year.
- There is a traditional lion dance, performers, and a Chinese drum entourage.
- The BIA provides participating businesses with a head of lettuce and a red envelope in which every business puts in a ‘donation’ for the lion to bless the business.
- We host an annual community Shredding and Electronic Recycling Day to protect business and community members from identity theft.
- This event is jointly organized by the HNBIA and the Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre with help from Vancity, Best Shredding, and the City of Vancouver.
Live Music In The Kamloops Plaza
- During the summer months the East Village BIA is proud to present our Summer Music Series, a live concert series that is completely free to enjoy!
- Our goal is to bring more music and art to the neighbourhood, and fill the air with lovely sounds, and colourful grooves for you to sit and stay awhile, or just soak up some nice vibes on your journey down Hastings Street. Join us at the Kamloops Plaza (Hastings + Kamloops) in the East Village.
Piano on the Street
- Music is in the air and pianos are on the streets! Through the summer, we have a community piano for all to play right outside CIBC on the SE corner of Penticton and East Hastings.
- Every year we invite an organization to help us paint the piano for all to enjoy. Organizations we have had in the past include: Kiwassa Neighbourhood House, Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House, and PALS Autism School.
Dog Days Of Summer Celebration
- An outdoor event for you and your pet to enjoy together in the Hastings/Kamloops Outdoor Plaza.
- Live music, Games, Activities, Treats, and Prizes for you and your pup!
Yoga in the Park
- Beat those office blues and join us for yoga in Pandora Park!
- Yoga is by donation and all proceeds go towards WISH Drop-In Centre Society.
- All yoga mats provided by Relaxus Professionals. All ages and levels welcome.
- Every year we host a Trick or Treat on Hastings Street event. Kids can drop into businesses to score some candy and then head back to the Hastings/Kamloops Outdoor Plaza for more candy and photo ops.
- Show off your costumes and dare to be scared!
- Keep an eye out for the trio of carollers strolling down East Hastings singing Christmas jingles. Feel free to join in – who knows you may even see Santa with them!
- Get into the Christmas spirit with us and sing to your little heart’s content!
Annual General Meeting
- All business owners and property owners within the Hastings North Business Improvement Area are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting of the Hastings North BIA.
- A business or property owner has the right to appoint a representative who is affiliated with their business to attend and vote at the AGM on their behalf.
- The boundaries of the area are Renfrew Street, East Hastings Street, Clark Drive, East Pender Street, Powell Street, Semlin Drive, Victoria Drive, and Turner Street.