Chinese New Year
- Between the 2700 to 2200 blocks of East Hastings, the participating businesses will be blessed by the lion to ring in Chinese New Year.
- There is a traditional lion dance, performers, and a Chinese drum entourage.
- The BIA provides participating businesses with a head of lettuce and a red envelope in which every business puts in a ‘donation’ for the lion to bless the business.
- We host an annual community Shredding and Electronic Recycling Day to protect business and community members from identity theft.
- This event is jointly organized by the HNBIA and the Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre with help from Vancity, Best Shredding, and the City of Vancouver.
Lunch Musical Interlude
- 8 Saturdays of live music over lunch.
- The Usual Suspects bring live music to the SE corner of Penticton and East Hastings from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Saturdays in the summer!
Piano on the Street
- Music is in the air and pianos are on the streets! Through the summer, we have a community piano for all to play right outside CIBC on the SE corner of Penticton and East Hastings.
- Every year we invite an organization to help us paint the piano for all to enjoy. Organizations we have had in the past include: Kiwassa Neighbourhood House, Frog Hollow Neighbourhood House, and PALS Autism School.
Yoga in the Park
- Beat those office blues and join us for yoga in Pandora Park!
- Yoga is by donation and all proceeds go towards WISH Drop-In Centre Society.
- All yoga mats provided by Relaxus Professionals. All ages and levels welcome.
Annual General Meeting
- All business owners and property owners within the Hastings North Business Improvement Area are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting of the Hastings North BIA.
- A business or property owner has the right to appoint a representative who is affiliated with their business to attend and vote at the AGM on their behalf.
- The boundaries of the area are Renfrew Street, East Hastings Street, Clark Drive, East Pender Street, Powell Street, Semlin Drive, Victoria Drive, and Turner Street.
- Every year we host a Trick or Treat on Hastings Street event. Kids can drop into businesses to score some candy and then head back to our office (2620 E Hastings) to check out the spooky haunted house.
- Show off your costumes and dare to be scared!
- Keep an eye out for the trio of carollers strolling down East Hastings singing Christmas jingles. Feel free to join in – who knows you may even see Santa with them!
- Get into the Christmas spirit with us and sing to your little heart’s content!